Friday, July 10, 2015

Evening of Entertainment



If the rest of the Freedom Ride journey goes like yesterday, we are all in for a real treat.  Our guests from Botswana and Cape Town are wonderful.  After long hours of traveling, they wanted to prepare dinner for their host families.  Pete's and my house has never smelled so good.  Then music...

These four young adults from Botswana say they had never sung together before. Amazing!
 
Our ten guests from Cape Town sing their National Anthem with us following dinner.
The lyrics employ the five widely spoken of South Africa's eleven official languages.
First verse, first two lines - Xhosa
First verse, last two lines - Zulu
Second verse - Sesotho
Third verse - Afrikaans
Final verse - English

The translation of the lyrics to the national anthem in English are as follows:
God bless Africa
Let its (Africa's) horn be raised,
Listen also to our prayers, 
 Lord bless us, we are the family of it (Africa)

Lord bless our nation, 
Stop wars and sufferings,
Save it, save our nation,
The nation of South Africa
South Africa

From the blue of our skies,
From the depth of our sea,
Over everlasting mountains,
Where the cliffs give answer

Sounds the call to come together,
And united we shall stand,
Let us live and strive for freedom
In South Africa our land.

The first part of the South African National anthem has been one of the most inspirational songs in my life ever since I saw the film "Cry Freedom" many years ago...I learned how to sound out the words just to be able to sing it (in my car, by myself!) even though I didn't know the translation. Later I learned how the new official anthem came to incorporate diverse languages and tunes as a move towards reconciliation and it meant all the more to me. So, when I saw you had made the video, I was so pleased...but when I listened, I was truly moved to tears...so very much embodied in that song from each of you! Thank you so much for sharing that as my intro to you and the week!! Then I went on to hear our friends from Botswana sing as well...oh my goodness! How beautiful and powerful to hear you together! Last night, as you were gathered there, I was lucky enough to hear a women's choir from the Nigerian Church of the Brethren in person ...many women singing, dancing, and drumming, songs of deep faith and perseverance....amazing!! But In your short video, just you few gave me the same feeling!! I am so very blessed to be spending the week with you. I may sing (and dance!!) with heart and soul but not so much in tune, I am afraid! Forgive me in advance??Welcome, friends...and see you soon!   Susan Mead, fellow companion on this Freedom Ride.







1 comment:

  1. Hi my name is Bertram. I'm a chef from South Africa and I arrived in North Carolina yesterday. Our South African group found it fitting to cook for our host families. We cooked a traditional South African meal, we decided to make a Cape Malay dish called Bobotie (a curried ground beef dish laced with fruit and nuts) we served this with a saffron infused jasmine rice, layered with Turkish apricots and raisins and a fresh garden salad. We thought the main course would not do justice if it was not pared with a dessert... This prompted a lovely dessert all South Africans know called Malva Pudding. It is a cake like dessert, made with apricot preserve and and a caramel sauce, traditionally served with custard which unfortunately we did not have...
    Our group would really like to thank our host families for their generous hospitality!!

    ReplyDelete